Sunday, January 19, 2014

Project #1: The Temple of the Feminine Divine

The Temple of the Feminine Divine (TofD) has a 13 year history in the city of Bangor, Maine.  As far as I know, it is the only such temple to be established in the greater Bangor area.

I had become aware of the TofD several years prior to actually visiting.  Back at the time I had learned about it's existence I was a bit less in touch with my Paganism and while I knew they could be a valuable resource, I had in my head an impression that was not in keeping with the reality I found there when I finally found myself in one of their comfy chairs.

I first went there to attend a meeting of the Eastern Maine Pagan Pride Association (for which I now fill the duty of Secretary).  It seemed at the time a little, well, all over the place.  There were racks of necklaces and pendants for sale, a donation basket, a library off to one side that was difficult to access because of all the people sitting in front of the hallway.  It is located on the second floor of the third oldest building in the city of Bangor (I am making that up, it is probably the fourth or perhaps fifth oldest building in the city of Bangor) and was showing signs of wear.  The walls were adorned with pictures and paintings representing goddesses from a dozen different pantheons and off to the side was a room that once you go to exit you have to walk through a giant vagina made out of silk sheets.

In short, I wasn't shocked but I was pretty intimidated.  I was even more in awe of the women there when I went to the first business meeting for the TofD.  They were a combination of strong and sensitive that I was unused to and amazed by.  As I came to know them better, my admiration only grew.  My family and I are now members.

When I decided that I needed to get my start in documentary film making, I knew right away that I wanted to get the TofD on board and on film.

The purpose of this short film will be, in essence, an piece to inform people what the TofD is about, a basic history and short interviews with Temple clergy, students and practitioners.  I want to demonstrate what makes the Temple valuable to our community.

To do this, I will film a large public ritual at the Universalist Unitarian Church on one of the Sabbats, a smaller Full Moon ritual at the temple and interviews with members of the TofD to include clergy, present Iseum Class members, recently graduated Clergy and general practitioners.  When I presented this idea to the present membership at their monthly business meeting on January 5th, I was met with overwhelming support.  I now have to lock in the interviews but I will first need to borrow a piece of audio equipment from my "Professor" at Druid College, perhaps as soon as next weekend.

I intend the finished product to be about 15-20 minutes long but will likely create more than one version for posterity.

So, the Temple of the Feminine Divine is first on my list of mini-docs.  I expect to update this blog weekly...I am hoping that it will help me stay organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment